Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Rock the Casbah

I can't believe I haven't mentioned this yet.. this year my school is doing something new that I'm actually really excited about. We're suspending regular classes for three days and trying something called School Without Walls (aka SWOW) or Project "Week". I'm really excited about it because my coworker and I came up with a project that ROCKS. Literally. Here's our sexy blurb...

School of Rock:
Do you have what it takes to really rock?

Playing expert level on Guitar Hero or Rock Band does not make you a rockstar. Come learn about the roots of rock, the movers and shakers in rock history, and where rock music is headed today, especially in the SF Bay Area. Highlights of this project include guitar lessons, a visit to a real rock studio, chatting with a local rock band, and touring a venue in the City. The last day we will finish up with a listening party where you can play a track from your favorite rock artist or perform a live piece in front of an exclusive audience. Rock, rock on!!

So despite the fact that our studio and our local band fell through, I'm still super-stoked. We still get to jam on the guitars, listen to some choice tunes, watch some rockumentaries, chill in the Haight, hang out backstage at the Fillmore..yes, you heard (read?) me.. we're hangin' out at the Fillmore. Which was my dream all along. Well that and getting Green Day to come by. But they're busy with their new album and tour y'know. So it should be fun.. got a group of 17 kids who are all interested in the project (imagine that, teaching to kids who choose to be there?!?!) and we're kickin' it off tomorrow morning!

Some other notable projects that my coworkers are running include.. using pinhole cameras to photograph the city, camping out at a pie ranch, a three day college tour, hiking and camping on Angel Island, getting noticed by college soccer coaches and recruiters.. the list is (not quite) endless. Pretty cool stuff, I think.

We'll see how it all goes! Until then.. rock, rock on!

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

ms. chew, you are so inspiring! i just read your whole blog, back to front -- it was incredible. i couldn't stop reading. it's so crazy to see the teaching side of you after i've met mostly your musical side ;), and you took my breath away. i had no idea you were such a baller! <3