Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Papa Don't Preach

Yesterday one of my students says to me, "Ms. Chew, you're about to be a grandma." Which was her way of telling me she's pregnant. She's due in July, after graduation. I mean.. what am I supposed to say to that?

I have another girl who I'm so sure is pregnant, but I have no idea how to go about asking. Do I ask her friend? Should I just ask her? And if I find out she is.. what am I supposed to say to that?

There's a boy and a girl in one of my classes who had a kid together their freshmen year. His mother took the baby in and is the main caregiver nowadays. They're on and off again as a couple, which means sometimes they're not talking to each other. And sometimes they sit together in class and cupcake. So really.. what am I supposed to say to that? "Listen, I know you two have a kid together so obviously you have a hard time keeping your hands off each other.. but you're both failing this class so can you please get it together??"

Seriously.

No comments: