Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spitting Games

Today we played a staff vs. student kickball game during lunch. So, during 2nd period I ran into my coworker's room and whispered "I don't know how to play kickball!" Needless to say it has probably been 12 years since the last time I've played kickball. It was fun, the students won. (Which is NOT a given.. we won the staff vs. students volleyball game.. which was against the girls varsity volleyball team!) But my point today is that I'm kind of proud of my ability to think quick, a skill which has been honed down over the past few months working with my kids.

After missing a catch while covering first base, my kids started yelling "Ms. Chew you suck!!" So I ran over to them, pointed at each and yelled "F! F! F! F! F! I haven't put in grades yet you know? Oops I think I lost all your papers! Zero!!!"

Still later, I missed another catch (yeah, I know. Twelve years, I told you!) And of course again they cheered "Ms. Chew you suck!!" (Sportmanship is not one of their fortes.) This time all I had to say was "Hey, that's not fair, I don't make fun of you while you're failing my tests!"

Touché!!

No comments: