Thursday, April 17, 2008

Afroman lives.. unfortunately.

"Ms. Chew, what are you going to be doing on 4/20?"
"Going to church and NOT smoking a doobie."

Had a conference with a parent, counselor, and some teachers. I remember when I first started this job and I was really idealistic. Like.. I would never be a teacher that gives up on her students. But lately, I've found that sometimes.. sometimes I'm just over it. This girl doesn't come to class. She just doesn't. Everyone says she's brilliant but getting mixed up in the wrong things. She's not very sweet, I don't find her very likable. She's manipulative. When her mom tried to discipline her, she called CPS on her. The poor woman just doesn't know how to deal with her anymore. The girl has been drinking since she was in the eighth grade, and blames her problem on her alcoholic father. Except when she gets into trouble, she calls her father because he's easier on her. He enables her.

It's an ugly situation, yes. And I should be more compassionate. This girl will probably become an alcoholic if she keeps it up. But WHAT am I supposed to do? I can't help her if she's not here. And at this point, even if she starts coming to class again, it would take forever for her to catch up. She's not even a pleasure to have in class. She's sassy and acts like she deserves privilege. She and a friend skipped a day of finals to go to the movies, and then came back begging with puppy-dog eyes to make up the exams (not mine, thank God.) I don't know. I just had to vent. I'm torn because I wish I cared more.. but I just don't. I'm over it. You can't save those who don't want to be saved.

No comments: