Tuesday, April 22, 2008

One Step Closer

So I found out today that my student who got stabbed.. no, I wasn't a block away. I was there.

I didn't make the connection until today, for some reason. As I was walking from my apartment to the school school dance on Friday I had noticed a bunch of cops at an intersection. A bunch of the neighbors in the area had come out of their houses to see what was going on. I asked them if they knew what was up, but no one had an answer.

But according to an update from our principal today,
He was stabbed three times and hit with a bat in his arm. The attackers appear to be gang related, but he was not wearing any colors or identifying in any way. He is a graduating senior and concerned about missing anything.

Another kid who is merely a bystander of the gang warfare and brokenness in the city. Needless to say, today I was pretty shook up just by the fact that even though I live in the same neighborhood as these kids.. I feel like I'm living in a different universe.

My bboy didn't come back to class today. I'm hoping he's alright and that he'll come back to me soon.

On another note.. if you live in SF you should vote YES on Proposition A: The Quality Teachers and Educators Act. It's going to be on the June 3rd ballot. More info here, but basically vote YES to support teachers like me and keep us working hard in the city for these kids that need us so desperately. KTHANXBAI.

No comments: