Thursday, May 1, 2008

Easier to Lie

The kiddies are taking the California STAR tests (state standardized tests that teachers and schools are evaluated on.. blehhh!) this week. There is a subject-specific science test, which means my kiddies are taking the physics test. Which makes me nervous! Because even though I know that the test is crap, it's almost written to set them up to fail (i.e. one of the questions is about which probe they should use to measure some variable.. hello?!? We have no money for these probes, why should they know what they are?!?!?), I still want them to do well on it. It's like I have something to prove. But preliminary questioning about how the physics STAR test is going reveals that my kids are.. just pretty darn cute. And don't believe a word I say, apparently.
Case #1:
Ms. Chew (Rocks!): "So how's the physics test going?"
Student: "It's ok."
Ms. Chew (Rocks!): "Not too hard or anything?"
Student: "It's alright. But they give you that equation thinggy so it helps!"
Ms. Chew (Rocks!): "The equation sheet. It looks exactly like the one I showed you in class, right? I told you!"
Student: "I know. But I thought you were just saying that. You know."

Case #2:
Ms. Chew (Rocks!): "How's testing going?"
Student: "Ms. Chew I think I did okay on the physics test.. it was like all the stuff you told us."
Ms. Chew (Rocks!): "Of course it is!!"

No comments: