Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Karma Police

One of the hardest things I contemplate daily is leaving my house and neighborhood. I lost my cousin to gang violence - because of a stupid color. He was not involved in any gangs, yet he was fatally shot. Living in a neighborhood with gang violence and high drop out rates, I feel the need to complete a college education, become a role model, and inspire young kids in my neighborhood to do the same. By pursuing a career in law, not only can I add a little security to my life, but I can also help minimize the violence and crime in a neighborhood and help make a positive change.

I meant to post this a long time ago. This is the bio blurb of one of my students who won a scholarship. Only 50 of these scholarships are awarded to low-income seniors in public schools in SF. I was able to attend the scholarship award reception at the end of the school year. At a time when uncertainty dominated my frame of mind his words brought be back down to earth and reminded me why I do what I do. Hopefully I'll hear great things about him in the future.

No comments: